Ted Pedersen, professor, Department of Computer Science, developed systems that participated in two shared tasks recently. These events invite researchers from around the world to evaluate their systems on the same tasks and data during a limited period of time. The first concluded in December and involved automatically creating dictionary entries for words based on written samples of text. This was a part of the Semeval-2015 Semantic Evaluation exercise. The second wrapped up in March and automatically screened Twitter users for signs of Depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). This event was held in preparation for the 2nd Annual Computational Linguistics and Clinical Psychology Workshop.
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Compudyne, Inc. - Duluth, MN
Systems Administrator, Full-Time Experienced
Be a part of something big. Compudyne is celebrating 25 years of supporting businesses, large and small, with IT resources that drive success. We're the region's leading provider of remote and on-site IT services, network consulting, hardware/software installation and high speed business internet services. Most importantly, we explore cutting-edge, secure solutions that help our clients become more efficient and more connected.
Find your niche.
As a Systems Administrator, you are responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation and maintenance of systems hardware, software and related infrastructure. In this dynamic role, you'll collaborate with exceptional people, participating in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This is a fast-paced, constantly-evolving environment, so you'll need to be up for a challenge. Here's a taste of the variety you get working with Compudyne:
Engineering & Provisioning:
- Install/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Research and recommend innovative approaches for system administration tasks.
- Deploy, monitor, audit, document and maintain the lifecycles of various products, services.
Operations and Support:
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, and review system and application logs.
- Support various cloud products, technologies, and their associated components, including the following technologies: web filtering, hosted servers and exchange, anti-spam, secure mail, backup solutions and endpoint technologies.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media.
- Troubleshoot implementation and service issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
Enhancing Customer Relations:
- Interpret and discuss information with others and regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving complex issues.
- Demonstrate professional attitude with client over the phone, on-site and through emails to resolve all client project requests/questions.
We appreciate our employees and want to prove it. Compudyne combines extremely competitive wages with an excellent bonus package that includes Medical, Dental, Group Life and Disability Insurance, 401K and PTO. We also provide numerous perks to continually thank you for your hard work. Just ask!
Going in, you need to have an Associate's Degree and 2+ years of progressive experience in the IT industry. To stand out as a candidate, you'l have a strong understanding of the following:
-Virtualization Technologies: primarily Microsoft & VMWare technologies and their configurations.
-Storage Area Network with client connectivity via fiber channel or ISCSI technologies.
-Network Technologies such as TCP/IP, firewalls, SSL VPN appliances and IPSEC tunneling.
-Incredible customer service skills.
-Certifications such as Microsoft MCSE, VMWare VCP and/or Cisco CCNA.
-Strong desire for personal and professional development.
-Ability to identify and evaluate trends in industry best practice policies.
- Degree(s) Seeking or Attained (select all that apply): Associate, Bachelors
See Listing At: http://compudyne.net/about-us/careers/
306 W. Michigan St. Suite 200, Duluth, MN 55802
Phone: 218-729-0920 ext. 205, Fax: 218-263-3626
Amazon - Seattle
This work involves massive scale software engineering to support infrastructure expansion of Amazon worldwide. The language of choice is mostly Python and the problems involve supply chain processes. There is also a need for a Unix / Developer systems engineer.
The contact is former UMD CS graduate Josh Richard: email@example.com
Internships at Valspar Corp
Below are links to opportunities posted at Valspar for both an IT Programmer Analyst internship and Network Analyst Internship. A UMD student had the network analyst internship last summer and is currently hired full time so it’s a great opportunity.